More Magic from Mulder Willow Springs International Raceway Walt James Stadium
Eddie Mulder’s West Coast Dirt Track Series
October 3rd and 4th, 2015
The Eddie Mulder West Coast Dirt Track Series’ Willow Springs 3/8 mile DG cushion events have been a favorite for many throughout the years. A gathering, many refer to as a family reunion that brings out many riders looking forward to the big, fast, cushion track, endless bench racing and admiration of each others latest and greatest equipment. This weekend was exceptional!
Many of flat track racing’s heavy hitters and longtime supporters honored Eddie and the series by coming out to rub elbows and watch the competition on the track. Chris Agajanian and the new Ascot trailer, Motion Pro and British Customs were onsite showing and selling their wares. Storage Wars TV star Barry Weiss and legendary racer Sammy Tanner were seen wandering the pits as well.
Eddie has always put forth exemplary efforts to bring substantial purses to his events, especially to his end of season Willow Springs event. This year, thanks to the generosity of the series sponsors, Digger Helm, Terry and Nancy Otton of Ramspur Winery, Mark and Randy Zimmerman of Specialty Fabrications, Inc, Rod Lake and more, the October 3rd and 4th weekend paid the second largest purse in flat track history. More than $80,000 was awarded to riders in the Pro class, 250 Open and the 80cc class. Along with the money, West Coast Dirt Track Series medals and plaques were given out. At the awards ceremony, Eddie’s custom is to shower the attendees with gifts provided by other series sponsors, Triumph North America, Motion Pro, British Customs, Maxima Racing Oils, Chris Agajanian’s Ascot, Barnett Clutches and Cables, Brown’s Cycles, C&J Racing Frames, Coventry Spares, JRC Engineering, Penton Racing Products, Works Performance, Today’s Cycle Coverage, S&S Off Road magazine and more. The promo items excite everyone!!
The West Coast Dirt Track Series always draws some of the Nation’s top AMA GNC 1 and 2 riders and this event was no exception. In attendance were National #1 Jared Mees, Sammy Halbert, Henry Wiles, Rob “Bugs” Pearson, Chad Cose, the Bauman brothers, Kayl Kolkman, Jeffrey Carver and many more. Twenty eight Pro riders competed for a spot on the 14 rider grid in the main events Saturday and Sunday.
The track, thanks to Gary Ritchie, was magnificent! Resurrected after serious flooding this spring washed all the dirt and hay bales away, Ritchie worked a solid week to get it race ready for the weekend events. Ritchie also finished second behind Jay Height Saturday in the 500 support class.
Sunday’s program began by honoring three riders gone to the big track in the sky this year. A backwards lap rider’s parade saluting Don “Squatty” Surplus, a long time, very close friend of Eddie Mulder and #1 desert rider, Mike Gonzales, a West Coast Dirt Track Series Vintage 500 rider and good friend of Jeff Gonzales, and Jethro Halbert, National #69. Eddie carried the U.S. flag, riding between Sammy Halbert and Jeff Gonzales in their honor.
A few of the younger riders stand out as a result of their skill and tenacity on and off the track. At this event, youth riders Clayton Williams and James Alexander topped the youth 60cc, Open Amateur and 250 Open classes all weekend. Each of them topped the podium in at least one event both days. Williams finished first in 3 events crossing the finish line first in the Open Amateur A main and battling with Grant Holmes in the 250 Open Class both days, taking those wins. Holmes won the 80cc and Open Amateur B events Sunday. Travis Petton IV finished second both days in the 80cc class behind Zaden Flores on Saturday and Grant Holmes Sunday.
Jeff Lessley dominated the Modern 500 and Senior Vintage classes both days. Jim Ottele followed him to the checkers in second both days too. Canadian rider, D-Dan McDougal aboard his new Eddie Mulder built Triumph for the first time was proud to finish third behind Steve Craft and his good friend Jack Alexander both Saturday and Sunday in the Sr Novice/Super Sr class. Chris Rudy gave it his all both days competing head to head with Tom Horton in the Classic 500 brake-less class. Trading places several times on the track in their races both days, Horton finished first followed by Rudy and Cary Tanner. Former AMA Grand National rider, Kenny Netto, no longer rides very often but today he showed off his talent and speed leading another former AMA Grand National rider, Tom Horton, to the finish in the modern 250 class. Paul Herman got the Modern 750 hole shot and never gave up the lead both days. Behind him Robert Hansen and Lloyd McGregor battled for the second spot. The race finished Herman, McGregor and Hansen respectively each day and McDougal followed them in the fourth spot.
Twenty four riders showed up to compete in the Open Amateur class. The class was split into and A and B main events to accommodate them all and the riders ranged in age from up and coming youngsters in their teens to some of the veteran riders like Jack Jones and Bill Wright. The class also included Kenjiro Tsuji from Japan and female riders, Julia Rankin and Allison Stacey, both very talented in two wheeled competition. Clayton Williams rode in the front of the pack all six laps in the Open Amateur A main but Rankin who was in third the first lap got around Paul Ott to finish second. Ott finished third on Saturday but on Sunday he topped the podium followed by Williams and Dillon Allen who flew in from Idaho specifically for this event. Saturday’s Open Amateur B main gave veteran rider Jack Jones the chance to shine leading Michael Hill and Andrew Myers to the checkers.
Twenty eight pro riders came out for a chance at some of the big money. They rode heats, Semis and the fourteen rider main event. The top rider was taken from each heat to make the grid for the Specialty Fabrications Dash for Cash. Saturday’s heat winners Jeffrey Carver, Briar Bauman, Sammy Halbert and Jared Mees powered off the start and into turn one in the first lap led by Carver and followed by Halbert, Mees and Bauman. Carver never looked back twisting the throttle to a very happy victory aboard his Ron Wood Rotax and proudly took Mark Zimmerman for a victory lap. Sunday’s Dash was the largest single payout of the weekend with a Specialty Fabrications purse of $20,000. Sunday’s riders were Carver, Halbert, Mees and Chad Cose. Mees took the lead from the start with Halbert on his back wheel and Carver close in third. Halbert, not to be outdone by Mees took the lead on the back straight and finished first. Mees, Carver and Cose followed. Halbert has ridden with his brother, Jethro’s plate #69 since Jethro passed. To celebrate Sundays victory lap with Zimmerman, Sammy stopped and picked up Jethro’s son Caleb and he took the victory lap with them.
Jeffrey Carver was hot this weekend taking three big wins. His Ron Wood Rotax easily passed Mees in lap five and put him in position to compete wheel to wheel with Halbert trading places for the front twice in Saturday’s Ramspur Winery Open Pro main event. Carver rode with tenacity and skill setting the mark for the rest of the class. On Sunday in the Digger Helm Open pro main event, Carver took the lead from the start with Halbert and Mees following. Mees lost his face shield midway into the race riding the remainder with no shield finishing third. Jared Vanderkoi and Briar Bauman followed them to the finish. Standing on his bike to greet the crowd Carver was the happiest man in the house! Digger Helm was taken for, the last victory lap of the day, feeding his passion for flat track that he has had throughout most of his life.
As always the climax of each day was the award ceremonies where Eddie and Jodi Mulder honored Digger Helm, Mark and Randy Zimmerman, Rod Lake,Terry Otton and Gary Ritchie with plaques of appreciation for their contributions to the West Coast Dirt Track Series and flat track racing. Riders were paid and given well-earned medals and plaques with thank you speeches to all of their supporters and sponsors and sponsor gifts were bestowed on the crowd. The gift giving is always exciting!
Watch for news about the 2016 Eddie Mulder West Coast Dirt Track Series season on their web site www.EddiemuldersWCVDTS.com and on their Facebook page Eddie Mulder’s West Coast Dirt Track Series.
Willow Springs Results October 3, 2015
- Jeff Lessley; 2. Jim Ottele; 3. Ken Netto; 4. Ron Lessley; 5. Robert Hansen; 6. Kyle Lessley; 7. John Lundgren; 8. John Lundgren; 9. Tom Horton
- Jim Rosa; 2. Paul Ott; 3. Joe McCoy; 4. Dan Lowther; 5. Rob Bush; 6. Daniel Clark; 7. Will Ott; 8. Andrew Myers; 9. Mark LaDue; 10. Gary Ritchie; 11. Bill Kolkman
Super Sr./Sr Novice
- Steve Craft; 2. Jack Alexander; 3. D-Dan McDougal; 4. Shane VanSickle; 5. Alan Hayden; 6. Fred Berger; 7. Ted Hubbard; 8. Jan Johnson
- Jim Ottele
- Fred Berger
- Tom Horton; 2. Chris Rudy; 3. Cary Tanner; 4. Lenny Rodriguez; 5. Joe Pape; 6. James Kohls; 7. Matt Campbell
- James Alexander; 2. Eli Souza; 3. Zack Earwood; 4. Kaden Clark
- Zaden Florez; 2. Travis Petton IV; 3. Grant Holmes; 4. Evan Souza; 5. Olin Kissler; 6. Tucker Mount; 7. Tucker Mount; 8. Hunter Stanley; 9.Blake Clark; 10. Kris Clark; 11. David Kohlstaedt
- Ken Netto; 2. Tom Horton
- Jeff Lessley; 2. Jim Lundgren; 3. Ron Lessley
- Paul Herman; 2. Lloyd McGregor; 3. Robert Hansen; 4. D-Dan McDougal; 5. Jeff Johnson
- Clayton Williams; 2. James Ott; 3. Grant Holmes; 4. Travid Petton IV; 5. Hunter Goodwin; 6. Colt Stanley; 7. Michael Hill; 8. Nathan Agrifoglio; 9. Hunter Brooks; 10. Michael Burns; 11. LJ Gronek; 12. Noah Bush
500 Support “A” main
- Jimmy Abrams; 2. Jack Jones; 3. Jim Lundren; 4. Ryan Gifforda; 5. Robert Hansen; 6. Josh Mills; 7. Stever Carper; 8. Jeff Gonzales dnf; 9. Cary Tanner dnf; 10 Travis Petton dnf
500 Support “B” main
- Jay Heidt; 2. Gary Ritchie; 3. Mark LaDue; 4. Cody Carper; 5. Tim Doda
Open Amaterur “A” Main
- Clayton Williams; 2. Julia Rankin; 3. James Ott; 4. Paul Ott; 5. Rob Bush; 6. Hunter Goodwin; 7. Colt Stanley; 8. Nathan Agrifoglio; 9. Hunter Brooks; 10. Matthew Burns; 11. Dillon Allen; 12. Allison Stacey; 13. Hunter Stanley; 14. Stephen Yoshida; 15. Domiimc Monaco dnf
Open Amateur “B” Main
- Jack Jones; 2. Michael Hill; 3. Andrew Myers; 4. Michael Burns; 5. Don Duarte; 6. LJ Gronek; 7. Bill Wright; 8. Kenjiro Tsuju; 9. Hayden Earwood; 10. Matt Ott
- Jeff Lesley; 2. Jeff Johnson; 3. Larry Earhart; 4. Jim Ottele; 5. John Lundgren; 6. Bill Kolkman; 7. Ryan Gifford; 8. Barney Stern; 9. Bill Wright dns
Ramspur Winery Open Pro
- Jeffrey Carver; 2. Sammy Halbert; 3. Jared Mees; 4. Henry Wiles; 5. Briar Bauman; 6. Robert Pearson; 7. Kayl Kolkman; 8. Ryan Wells; 9. Mike Rush; 10. Chad Cose; 11. John Vanderlaan; 12. Jake Mataya; 13. Cole Crowley; 14. Bronson Bauman dnf
Willow Springs Results October 4, 2015
Dash for Cash
- Sam Halbert; 2. Jared Mees; 3. Jeffrey Carver; 4. Chad Cose
- Jeff Lesley; 2. Jim Ottele; 3. Ron Lessley; 4. Robert Hansen; 5 Kenny Thiebaud; 6. Tom Horton
- Jim Rosa; 2. Dan Lowther; 3. Paul Ott; 4. John Lundgren; 5 Rob Bush; 6. Jack Jones; 7. Bill Kolkman; 8. Will Ott; 9. Joe McCoy; 10. Andrew Myers; 11. Mark LaDue; 12. Kenjiro Tsuji; 13. Gary Ritchie
Super Sr./Sr Novice
- Steve Craft; 2. Jack Alexander; 3. D-Dan McDugal; 4. Shane Van Sickle; 5 . Fred Berger; 6. Ted Hubbard
- Fred Berger
- Tom Horton; 2. Chris Rudy; 3. Cary Tanner; 4. Lenny Rodriguez; 5. James Khols; 6. Matt Campbell
- Jasper Heathfield
- James Alexander; 2. Seirra Hickerson; 3. Eli Souza
- Grant Holmes; 2. Travis Petton IV; 3. Zaden Florez; 4. David Kohlstaedt; 5. Evan Souza; 6. Hunter Stanley; 7. Olin Kissler; 8. Conner Hickman
- Lucas Dunev
- Paul Ott; 2. Clayton Williams; 3. Dillon Allen; 4. Julia Rankin; 5. James Ott; Hunter Goodwin; 7. Alex Crosby; 2. Robert Bush
Open Amateur (B)
- / Grant Holmes; 2. Hunter Brooks; 3. Allison Stacey; 4. Nathan Agrifoglio; 5. Michael Hill; 6. LJ Groneck; 7. Matt Ott; 8. James Holley; 9. Andrew Myers; 10. Jaycee Jones; 11. Hunter Stanley
- Jeff Lessley; 2. Jim Lundgren; 3. Ron Lesley; 4. Cary Tanner
- Pauul Herman; 2. Lloyd McGregor; 3. Robert Hansen; 4. D-Dan McDougal; 5. Tom Horton
- Clayton Williams; 2. Grant Holmes; 3. James Ott; 4. Hunter Goood; 5. Travis Petton IV; 6. Hunter Brooks; 7. Nathan Agrifoglio; 8. Michael Hill
- Jim Ottele; 2. Larry Earhart; 3. Bill Kolkman; 4. Ryan Gifford; 5. Dan Dawson; 6. Jeff Lessley; 7. John Lundgren
Digger Open Pro
- Jeffrey Carver; 2. Sammy Halbert; 3. Jared Mees; 4. Jared Vanderkoi; 5. Briar Bauman; 6. Ryan Wells; 7. Chad Cose; 8. Bronson Bauman; 9. Kayl Kolkman; 10. Wyatt Maguire; 11. Dylan Morin; 12. Mike Rush; 13. Henry Wiles; 14. Bugs Pearson DNF